OBJECTIVE: Obesity is a risk factor for the development of gestational hypertension, with important consequences for both the mother and fetus. This prospective observational study aims to propose an early prediction model of hypertensive disorders in pregnancy among obese women, through the bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) at the first trimester, thus allowing early recognition of obese women that are at risk to develop gestational hypertension, in order to target preventive interventions. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Singleton obese women (BMI ≥ 30 kg/m2) between the 9th and 12th week of pregnancy were included in the study. The exclusion criteria were chronic diseases, like type 2 diabetes mellitus, hypertension, and other medical pre-existing conditions. Eligible women were followed up at 20, 28, and 36 weeks of gestation by measuring blood pressure, weight, and body composition with the use of the BIA. The diagnosis of gestational hypertension was made after the 20th week of gestation. Pregnancy and perinatal outcomes were then recorded. RESULTS: Of the 479 women included in the study, 85 (17.7%) developed gestational hypertension; the remaining 394 (82.3%) resulted to be normotensive. A higher rate of nulliparous women was found in the hypertensive group (50.6% vs. 37.6%, p = 0.02), together with a higher rate of induction of labor (55.3% vs. 40.9%, p = 0.02) and of small for gestational age (SGA) newborns (12.9% vs. 6.9%, p = 0.03). Significant differences emerged in the body composition between the two groups already from the first trimester, indeed women developing gestational hypertension showed elevated values of Total body Mass, FM, FFM, TBW (p < 0.02), and of leg's FM, FFM (p < 0.006). At the multivariate logistics regression, the risk of developing gestational hypertension resulted higher in women with elevated total body water levels in the first trimester (OR 1.10 95% CI 1.04 -1.92). CONCLUSIONS: The BIA is a rapid, easy, non-invasive, and inexpensive tool to evaluate the body composition of obese pregnant women. It represents a promising predictor of hypertensive disorders in pregnancy, which allows an early identification of the patients at risk of developing gestational hypertension, thus opening a window of opportunity for strictly monitoring and target preventive intervention.

First-trimester prediction of gestational hypertension through the bioelectrical impedance analysis of the body composition / Menichini, D.; Spelta, E.; Rossi, E.; Monari, F.; DI VINCI, P. L.; Petrella, E.; Facchinetti, F.; Neri, I.. - In: EUROPEAN REVIEW FOR MEDICAL AND PHARMACOLOGICAL SCIENCES. - ISSN 1128-3602. - 26:11(2022), pp. 3967-3972. [10.26355/eurrev_202201_28966]

First-trimester prediction of gestational hypertension through the bioelectrical impedance analysis of the body composition

Menichini D.;Spelta E.;Petrella E.;Facchinetti F.;Neri I.
2022-01-01

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: Obesity is a risk factor for the development of gestational hypertension, with important consequences for both the mother and fetus. This prospective observational study aims to propose an early prediction model of hypertensive disorders in pregnancy among obese women, through the bioelectrical impedance analysis (BIA) at the first trimester, thus allowing early recognition of obese women that are at risk to develop gestational hypertension, in order to target preventive interventions. PATIENTS AND METHODS: Singleton obese women (BMI ≥ 30 kg/m2) between the 9th and 12th week of pregnancy were included in the study. The exclusion criteria were chronic diseases, like type 2 diabetes mellitus, hypertension, and other medical pre-existing conditions. Eligible women were followed up at 20, 28, and 36 weeks of gestation by measuring blood pressure, weight, and body composition with the use of the BIA. The diagnosis of gestational hypertension was made after the 20th week of gestation. Pregnancy and perinatal outcomes were then recorded. RESULTS: Of the 479 women included in the study, 85 (17.7%) developed gestational hypertension; the remaining 394 (82.3%) resulted to be normotensive. A higher rate of nulliparous women was found in the hypertensive group (50.6% vs. 37.6%, p = 0.02), together with a higher rate of induction of labor (55.3% vs. 40.9%, p = 0.02) and of small for gestational age (SGA) newborns (12.9% vs. 6.9%, p = 0.03). Significant differences emerged in the body composition between the two groups already from the first trimester, indeed women developing gestational hypertension showed elevated values of Total body Mass, FM, FFM, TBW (p < 0.02), and of leg's FM, FFM (p < 0.006). At the multivariate logistics regression, the risk of developing gestational hypertension resulted higher in women with elevated total body water levels in the first trimester (OR 1.10 95% CI 1.04 -1.92). CONCLUSIONS: The BIA is a rapid, easy, non-invasive, and inexpensive tool to evaluate the body composition of obese pregnant women. It represents a promising predictor of hypertensive disorders in pregnancy, which allows an early identification of the patients at risk of developing gestational hypertension, thus opening a window of opportunity for strictly monitoring and target preventive intervention.
26
11
3967
3972
First-trimester prediction of gestational hypertension through the bioelectrical impedance analysis of the body composition / Menichini, D.; Spelta, E.; Rossi, E.; Monari, F.; DI VINCI, P. L.; Petrella, E.; Facchinetti, F.; Neri, I.. - In: EUROPEAN REVIEW FOR MEDICAL AND PHARMACOLOGICAL SCIENCES. - ISSN 1128-3602. - 26:11(2022), pp. 3967-3972. [10.26355/eurrev_202201_28966]
Menichini, D.; Spelta, E.; Rossi, E.; Monari, F.; DI VINCI, P. L.; Petrella, E.; Facchinetti, F.; Neri, I.
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
3967-3972.pdf

Open access

Tipologia: Versione pubblicata dall'editore
Dimensione 349.32 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
349.32 kB Adobe PDF Visualizza/Apri
Pubblicazioni consigliate

Licenza Creative Commons
I metadati presenti in IRIS UNIMORE sono rilasciati con licenza Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal, mentre i file delle pubblicazioni sono rilasciati con licenza Attribuzione 4.0 Internazionale (CC BY 4.0), salvo diversa indicazione.
In caso di violazione di copyright, contattare Supporto Iris

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11380/1287733
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 0
  • Scopus 0
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 0
social impact