BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: Transplantation of hematopoietic stem cells from different sources is being increasingly used to treat a variety of diseases in children. Transplant procedures and indications have changed considerably during recent years. Monitoring of information about these changes is useful for interpretation of nationwide collected data. DESIGN AND METHODS: Since 1985, Centers belonging to the AIEOP (Associazione Italiana Ematologia Oncologia Pediatrica), performing hematopoietic stem cell transplants (HSCT) in children, and members of the AIEOP-Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) Group annually report data on their transplant activity to the AIEOP-BMT Registry employing specially prepared patient-oriented forms. RESULTS: From January 1985 to December 1998, a total of 2,474 bone marrow (BM), peripheral blood (PB) or umbilical cord blood (CB) transplants were reported: 1,296 (52%) were allogeneic (Allo) and 1,178 (48%) autologous (Auto) transplants. These transplants were performed in 19 Italian Centers on 2,249 patients aged less than 17 years. Among Allo-transplants, 1,198 (92%) were performed using BM progenitor cells, whereas 49 (4%) CB, 42 (3%) were PB, 4 BM plus PB, and 3 BM plus CB allografts; they were performed using HLA-identical sibling donors in 867 cases (67%) and alternative donors (i.e. partially-matched relatives or unrelated donors) in the remaining 429 (33%) cases. Allogeneic transplants were performed on 786 (67%) patients with malignancy and on 395 (33%) patients with non-malignant disorders. In the last 6 years, the number of Allo-transplants per year exceeded that of Auto-transplants. Of the Auto-transplants, 775 (66%) were performed using BM, and 403 (34%) using PB alone or combined with BM hematopoietic stem cells. Indications for Auto-BMT were myelo-lymphoproliferative disorders in 524 (49%) cases, solid tumor in 533 (50%) cases and non-malignant disease in 11 (1%) cases. In the last 5 years, the use of PB for autografts has increased from 7% to 70%. INTERPRETATION AND CONCLUSIONS: These data reflect the development and present status of HSCT in Italy and provide a basis for patient counseling and health care planning.

HEMOPOIETIC STEM CELL TRANSPLANTATION IN CHILDHOOD: REPORT FROM THE BONE MARROW TRANSPLANTATION GROUP OF THE ASSOCIAZIONE ITALIANA DI EMATOLOGIA E ONCOLOGIA PEDIATRICA (AIEOP) / A., Pession; R., Rondelli; Paolucci, Paolo; G., Pastore; G., Dini; F., Bonetti; E., Madon; F., Mandelli; L., Zanesco; C., Uderzo; A., Prete; M., Rabusin; A., Ugazio; P., Di Bartolomeo; C., Favre; L. B., Faulkner; V., Poggi; R., Luksch; A., Donfrancesco; F., Argiolu; G., La Nasa. - In: HAEMATOLOGICA. - ISSN 0390-6078. - STAMPA. - 85:(2000), pp. 638-646.

HEMOPOIETIC STEM CELL TRANSPLANTATION IN CHILDHOOD: REPORT FROM THE BONE MARROW TRANSPLANTATION GROUP OF THE ASSOCIAZIONE ITALIANA DI EMATOLOGIA E ONCOLOGIA PEDIATRICA (AIEOP).

PAOLUCCI, Paolo;
2000

Abstract

BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVE: Transplantation of hematopoietic stem cells from different sources is being increasingly used to treat a variety of diseases in children. Transplant procedures and indications have changed considerably during recent years. Monitoring of information about these changes is useful for interpretation of nationwide collected data. DESIGN AND METHODS: Since 1985, Centers belonging to the AIEOP (Associazione Italiana Ematologia Oncologia Pediatrica), performing hematopoietic stem cell transplants (HSCT) in children, and members of the AIEOP-Bone Marrow Transplant (BMT) Group annually report data on their transplant activity to the AIEOP-BMT Registry employing specially prepared patient-oriented forms. RESULTS: From January 1985 to December 1998, a total of 2,474 bone marrow (BM), peripheral blood (PB) or umbilical cord blood (CB) transplants were reported: 1,296 (52%) were allogeneic (Allo) and 1,178 (48%) autologous (Auto) transplants. These transplants were performed in 19 Italian Centers on 2,249 patients aged less than 17 years. Among Allo-transplants, 1,198 (92%) were performed using BM progenitor cells, whereas 49 (4%) CB, 42 (3%) were PB, 4 BM plus PB, and 3 BM plus CB allografts; they were performed using HLA-identical sibling donors in 867 cases (67%) and alternative donors (i.e. partially-matched relatives or unrelated donors) in the remaining 429 (33%) cases. Allogeneic transplants were performed on 786 (67%) patients with malignancy and on 395 (33%) patients with non-malignant disorders. In the last 6 years, the number of Allo-transplants per year exceeded that of Auto-transplants. Of the Auto-transplants, 775 (66%) were performed using BM, and 403 (34%) using PB alone or combined with BM hematopoietic stem cells. Indications for Auto-BMT were myelo-lymphoproliferative disorders in 524 (49%) cases, solid tumor in 533 (50%) cases and non-malignant disease in 11 (1%) cases. In the last 5 years, the use of PB for autografts has increased from 7% to 70%. INTERPRETATION AND CONCLUSIONS: These data reflect the development and present status of HSCT in Italy and provide a basis for patient counseling and health care planning.
85
638
646
HEMOPOIETIC STEM CELL TRANSPLANTATION IN CHILDHOOD: REPORT FROM THE BONE MARROW TRANSPLANTATION GROUP OF THE ASSOCIAZIONE ITALIANA DI EMATOLOGIA E ONCOLOGIA PEDIATRICA (AIEOP) / A., Pession; R., Rondelli; Paolucci, Paolo; G., Pastore; G., Dini; F., Bonetti; E., Madon; F., Mandelli; L., Zanesco; C., Uderzo; A., Prete; M., Rabusin; A., Ugazio; P., Di Bartolomeo; C., Favre; L. B., Faulkner; V., Poggi; R., Luksch; A., Donfrancesco; F., Argiolu; G., La Nasa. - In: HAEMATOLOGICA. - ISSN 0390-6078. - STAMPA. - 85:(2000), pp. 638-646.
A., Pession; R., Rondelli; Paolucci, Paolo; G., Pastore; G., Dini; F., Bonetti; E., Madon; F., Mandelli; L., Zanesco; C., Uderzo; A., Prete; M., Rabusin; A., Ugazio; P., Di Bartolomeo; C., Favre; L. B., Faulkner; V., Poggi; R., Luksch; A., Donfrancesco; F., Argiolu; G., La Nasa
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
638.full.pdf

accesso aperto

Tipologia: Versione dell'editore (versione pubblicata)
Dimensione 181.81 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
181.81 kB Adobe PDF Visualizza/Apri
Pubblicazioni consigliate

Caricamento pubblicazioni consigliate

Licenza Creative Commons
I metadati presenti in IRIS UNIMORE sono rilasciati con licenza Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal, mentre i file delle pubblicazioni sono rilasciati con licenza Attribuzione 4.0 Internazionale (CC BY 4.0), salvo diversa indicazione.
In caso di violazione di copyright, contattare Supporto Iris

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11380/13166
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 2
  • Scopus 32
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 26
social impact