We investigated the occurrence of extended-spectrum b-lactamase (ESBL), AmpC, and carbapenemase- producing Gram-negative bacteria isolated from 160 samples of fresh vegetables (n =80) and ready-to-eat (RTE) prepacked salads (n =80). Phenotypic and genotypic analyses were carried out on the isolates in terms of the species present and relative resistance. Resistance to b-lactam antibiotics was found in only 44 (24 from fresh vegetables and 20 from RTE salads) of a total of 312 Gram-negative strains (14.1%). The prevalence of ESBL-producing strains from fresh vegetables was 83.3% (20/24) and 16.7% (4/24) for AmpC. Among the 20 bacterial isolates from RTE salads, 80% (16/20) were identified as ESBL-producing strains and the remaining 20% (4/20) as MBL-producing strains. PCR and sequencing confirmed the presence of blaSHV-12, blaCTX-M-1, blaCTX-M-15, blaRHAN-1, blaACC-1, blaDHA-1, blaVIM-1, and blaIMP-1. Seven different replicons were identified, where IncHI1, FIA, and I1 were the most representative types; when compared with the Inc types, isolates from fresh vegetables and RTE salads were similar. The location of genes on a conjugative plasmid was confirmed by positive results obtained with conjugation assays. Our study has demonstrated the occurrence and distribution of ESBL/AmpC and MBL strains in fresh vegetables and RTE salads in Italy and possible public health risks associated with consumption of these fresh products.

Extended-Spectrum b-Lactamase, AmpC,and MBL-Producing Gram-Negative Bacteria on Fresh Vegetables and Ready-to-Eat Salads Sold in Local Markets / Iseppi, Ramona; DE NIEDERHAUSERN, Simona; Bondi, Moreno; Messi, Patrizia; Sabia, Carla. - In: MICROBIAL DRUG RESISTANCE. - ISSN 1076-6294. - 8:24(2018), pp. 1156-1164. [10.1089/mdr.2017.0198]

Extended-Spectrum b-Lactamase, AmpC,and MBL-Producing Gram-Negative Bacteria on Fresh Vegetables and Ready-to-Eat Salads Sold in Local Markets

Ramona Iseppi;Simona de Niederhausern;Moreno Bondi;Patrizia Messi;Carla Sabia
Supervision
2018

Abstract

We investigated the occurrence of extended-spectrum b-lactamase (ESBL), AmpC, and carbapenemase- producing Gram-negative bacteria isolated from 160 samples of fresh vegetables (n =80) and ready-to-eat (RTE) prepacked salads (n =80). Phenotypic and genotypic analyses were carried out on the isolates in terms of the species present and relative resistance. Resistance to b-lactam antibiotics was found in only 44 (24 from fresh vegetables and 20 from RTE salads) of a total of 312 Gram-negative strains (14.1%). The prevalence of ESBL-producing strains from fresh vegetables was 83.3% (20/24) and 16.7% (4/24) for AmpC. Among the 20 bacterial isolates from RTE salads, 80% (16/20) were identified as ESBL-producing strains and the remaining 20% (4/20) as MBL-producing strains. PCR and sequencing confirmed the presence of blaSHV-12, blaCTX-M-1, blaCTX-M-15, blaRHAN-1, blaACC-1, blaDHA-1, blaVIM-1, and blaIMP-1. Seven different replicons were identified, where IncHI1, FIA, and I1 were the most representative types; when compared with the Inc types, isolates from fresh vegetables and RTE salads were similar. The location of genes on a conjugative plasmid was confirmed by positive results obtained with conjugation assays. Our study has demonstrated the occurrence and distribution of ESBL/AmpC and MBL strains in fresh vegetables and RTE salads in Italy and possible public health risks associated with consumption of these fresh products.
2018
16-feb-2018
8
24
1156
1164
Extended-Spectrum b-Lactamase, AmpC,and MBL-Producing Gram-Negative Bacteria on Fresh Vegetables and Ready-to-Eat Salads Sold in Local Markets / Iseppi, Ramona; DE NIEDERHAUSERN, Simona; Bondi, Moreno; Messi, Patrizia; Sabia, Carla. - In: MICROBIAL DRUG RESISTANCE. - ISSN 1076-6294. - 8:24(2018), pp. 1156-1164. [10.1089/mdr.2017.0198]
Iseppi, Ramona; DE NIEDERHAUSERN, Simona; Bondi, Moreno; Messi, Patrizia; Sabia, Carla
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
esbl verdure.pdf

Accesso riservato

Tipologia: Versione pubblicata dall'editore
Dimensione 198.03 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
198.03 kB Adobe PDF   Visualizza/Apri   Richiedi una copia
Pubblicazioni consigliate

Licenza Creative Commons
I metadati presenti in IRIS UNIMORE sono rilasciati con licenza Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal, mentre i file delle pubblicazioni sono rilasciati con licenza Attribuzione 4.0 Internazionale (CC BY 4.0), salvo diversa indicazione.
In caso di violazione di copyright, contattare Supporto Iris

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11380/1154392
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 20
  • Scopus 41
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 38
social impact