Background: Specific data regarding the frequencies of the congenital upper limb anomalies (CULA) according to their aetiology are hardly available due to the heterogeneity across classification systems. In this study, we aim at defining the aetiology of CULA of the patients attending Modena University Hospital’s Congenital Hand Malformations multidisciplinary clinic in the years 2004-2012. Methods: Medical records of 487 patients were retrospectively reviewed. On the basis of clinical, anamnestic and genetic data the CULA were distributed into two main groups: (1) non-mendelian aetiology, including prenatal exposure, somatic mutations and amniotic bands and (2) mendelian aetiology including single gene and genomic/chromosomal diseases. CULA were further grouped according to the embryological damage (formation, separation and growth defects) and to the involved axis (radial, ulnar, central). Results: A mendelian aetiology was diagnosed in 199 patients (40.9%), whereas the remaining 288 cases (59.1%) were described as non-mendelian. The involvement of the lower limbs, the presence of malformations in other organs and facial dysmorphisms were significantly more represented in the mendelian cases. The formation defects were significantly more frequent in the non-mendelian group (p<0.001), whereas the frequency of separation defects was higher in the mendelian cases (p=0.0025). Patients with non-mendelian aetiologies showed a significantly higher frequency of central defects (p=0.0031). Conclusion: The two aetiologies differ in terms of patient’s clinical features, morphology defect and axis involvement. These data may be helpful in the diagnostic workup for the indication to perform genetic testing and for the recurrence risk assessment.

Genetic basis of congenital upper limb anomalies: analysis of 487 cases of a specialized clinic / Carli, Diana; Fairplay, Tracy; Ferrari, Paola; Sartini, Silvana; Lando, Mario; Garagnani, Lorenzo; Di Gennaro, Giovanni Luigi; Di Pancrazio, Luciana; Bianconi, Giorgia; Elmakky, Amira; Bernasconi, Sergio; Landi, Antonio; Percesepe, Antonio. - In: BIRTH DEFECTS RESEARCH. PART A, CLINICAL AND MOLECULAR TERATOLOGY. - ISSN 1542-0752. - STAMPA. - 97:(2013), pp. 798-805-805. [10.1002/bdra.23212]

Genetic basis of congenital upper limb anomalies: analysis of 487 cases of a specialized clinic

BIANCONI, GIORGIA;BERNASCONI, Sergio;PERCESEPE, Antonio
2013

Abstract

Background: Specific data regarding the frequencies of the congenital upper limb anomalies (CULA) according to their aetiology are hardly available due to the heterogeneity across classification systems. In this study, we aim at defining the aetiology of CULA of the patients attending Modena University Hospital’s Congenital Hand Malformations multidisciplinary clinic in the years 2004-2012. Methods: Medical records of 487 patients were retrospectively reviewed. On the basis of clinical, anamnestic and genetic data the CULA were distributed into two main groups: (1) non-mendelian aetiology, including prenatal exposure, somatic mutations and amniotic bands and (2) mendelian aetiology including single gene and genomic/chromosomal diseases. CULA were further grouped according to the embryological damage (formation, separation and growth defects) and to the involved axis (radial, ulnar, central). Results: A mendelian aetiology was diagnosed in 199 patients (40.9%), whereas the remaining 288 cases (59.1%) were described as non-mendelian. The involvement of the lower limbs, the presence of malformations in other organs and facial dysmorphisms were significantly more represented in the mendelian cases. The formation defects were significantly more frequent in the non-mendelian group (p<0.001), whereas the frequency of separation defects was higher in the mendelian cases (p=0.0025). Patients with non-mendelian aetiologies showed a significantly higher frequency of central defects (p=0.0031). Conclusion: The two aetiologies differ in terms of patient’s clinical features, morphology defect and axis involvement. These data may be helpful in the diagnostic workup for the indication to perform genetic testing and for the recurrence risk assessment.
97
798-805
805
Genetic basis of congenital upper limb anomalies: analysis of 487 cases of a specialized clinic / Carli, Diana; Fairplay, Tracy; Ferrari, Paola; Sartini, Silvana; Lando, Mario; Garagnani, Lorenzo; Di Gennaro, Giovanni Luigi; Di Pancrazio, Luciana; Bianconi, Giorgia; Elmakky, Amira; Bernasconi, Sergio; Landi, Antonio; Percesepe, Antonio. - In: BIRTH DEFECTS RESEARCH. PART A, CLINICAL AND MOLECULAR TERATOLOGY. - ISSN 1542-0752. - STAMPA. - 97:(2013), pp. 798-805-805. [10.1002/bdra.23212]
Carli, Diana; Fairplay, Tracy; Ferrari, Paola; Sartini, Silvana; Lando, Mario; Garagnani, Lorenzo; Di Gennaro, Giovanni Luigi; Di Pancrazio, Luciana; Bianconi, Giorgia; Elmakky, Amira; Bernasconi, Sergio; Landi, Antonio; Percesepe, Antonio
File in questo prodotto:
File Dimensione Formato  
CULA.pdf

non disponibili

Descrizione: Articolo in pdf
Tipologia: Versione dell'editore (versione pubblicata)
Dimensione 135.74 kB
Formato Adobe PDF
135.74 kB Adobe PDF   Visualizza/Apri   Richiedi una copia
Pubblicazioni consigliate

Caricamento pubblicazioni consigliate

Licenza Creative Commons
I metadati presenti in IRIS UNIMORE sono rilasciati con licenza Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal, mentre i file delle pubblicazioni sono rilasciati con licenza Attribuzione 4.0 Internazionale (CC BY 4.0), salvo diversa indicazione.
In caso di violazione di copyright, contattare Supporto Iris

Utilizza questo identificativo per citare o creare un link a questo documento: https://hdl.handle.net/11380/1061500
Citazioni
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.pmc??? 3
  • Scopus 12
  • ???jsp.display-item.citation.isi??? 11
social impact